ACADEMIC PLANNING UNIT
The Academic Planning Unit facilitates the process and procedures of all planning and control efforts of the University and it is directly responsible to the Vice Chancellor for the day-to-day administration of the Unit. It is headed by a Professor as the Director. The Unit assists and advises the Vice Chancellor and Senate on all issues relating to Academic Planning of the University including Staff Development programmes.
Major functions and responsibilities of the Unit as envisaged by NUC guidelines include the following:
• To prepare and revise the Academic Brief of the University with appropriate committees.
• To evaluate proposals for new Academic programmes, Departments and Colleges/Facilities for submission to the Academic Planning Committee, the Senate, Council and the NUC.
• To promote the quality of teaching and learning within the University.
• To monitor and maintain Academic standards through periodic curriculum review.
• To institute course and teacher evaluative criteria and guidelines (e.g. peer assessment, Annual Performance assessment etc.) and to ensure they exist and used as approved.
• To collate information and to co-ordinate research activities.
• To maintain data bank for Planning parameters such as Staff and Students' statistics.
• To study, monitor and interprete how the University/Units of the University are complying with NUC parameters for fund allocation ( Ratios, FTE etc.) and advise the Vice Chancellor and Senate on shortcomings with a view to correct and comply.
• To handle all Accreditation matters and to monitor the implementations of the Academic Brief and the Strategic Plan and advise the Vice Chancellor and Senate accordingly.
• To have in place an up to date data and information such as staff and students records, financial records etc. to guide the University Management for decision making on all University matters.
• The Unit liaises, on behalf of the University, with the NUC, relevant Federal and State Agencies such as Tetfund, Federal Character, Ministry of Education etc. with respect to Institutional policies on Higher education. Consequently, it participates in the preparation of the submissions and Planning exercises for the University and operates and manages the Nigerian University System Management Portal (NUSMAP).
• The Unit also services, the Accreditation, Academic ( Programmes ), Staff Development, Research and Strategic Planning Committees.