The Students’ Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) is a six-credit course that is established for students to gain practical experience of the application of theoretical course work they study in the university. The SIWES is done for a period of six months and it is undertaken at 300 Level second semester for Science students and 400 Level second semester for students in the College of Technology. At the end of the program, the Federal Government gives some allowances to the students to cover minor expenses they incurred during the training. In order to achieve the aim of the SIWES Program, the SIWES Unit was established in every institution and made mandatory by the Federal Government of Nigeria and it is regulated by the Industrial Training Fund (ITF) in order to achieve the objectives of the SIWES.
HISTORY OF FUPRE SIWES UNIT
The Students’ Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) Unit of FUPRE was inaugurated on the 15th of February, 2010 with the responsibility to;
– Prepare and submit eight copies of Master Listsand eight copies of placement lists of each SIWES year to the ITF. All submissions must be made through the National Universities Commission (NUC). However two advanced copies should be sent to the ITF Warri Area Office.
– Apply job-specifications as prepared for all the accredited courses and award appropriate credit units in accordance with Federal Government minimum academic standard guidelines.
– Identify placement opportunities for students’ attachment with employers.
– Supervise students at their places of attachment and sign their log-books.
– Organize orientation courses in collaboration with the Industrial Training Fund (ITF) for the students.
– Submit comprehensive reports of the scheme to Industrial Training Fund ITF through Nigerian Universities Commission NUC. The ITF Form 8 at the end of every year’s programme is submitted to ITF.
– Ensure payment of outstanding allowances and render all returns to the ITF during the SIWES year.
– Submit all completed ITF form 8 to the nearest ITF Area Office.